Thursday, August 6, 2009

Only the 3rd Post and Already a Rant...


Okay, so I'm not one to complain or gripe, but I just can't help myself. I know this is only my third blog post, but hey, it is a blog! :)

So, as a professional writer/editor as well as doing the alwaysBdesigns gig, I can't help but feel underappreciated. I sometimes surf for killer freelance gigs on Craigslist or VirtualVocations, and while there aren't many great things, there are occasional gems.

Take this gem for example: The hiring company wants a very experienced, talented writer who can also edit, who can also juggle, who can also sing, who can also... okay, you get the point. Anyhow, then, they want to pay said author $3 for a 500 word article. Are you kidding me? I mean, I do realize that you are hiring someone to do something so simple and brainless for you - writing's not that hard right? - but that's not even minimum wage, and if it's a well-written article, or a 'very experienced, talented writer', it would take them at least an hour to research, write, edit, etc. the said article.

There are some out there that pay even better, like say, $1 per 500 page article. Hmm... I don't think I'll be getting any writing gigs from them anytime soon. I think perhaps my $.10 per word to write or $20/hour to edit might be a bit of a stretch for them. Maybe. Just sayin'.

Okay, done with the rant for now. But, seriously, can we all just appreciate the writers a little more? They are afterall the people that take countless hours to draft spoken word into a written form that will make you not 'sound' as bad.

'nough said...
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for me - it's the only way I'll know what you're thinking! :) I promise to try and respond...